INGREDIENTS 1 lb. cooked shredded or diced chicken (about 2 and 1/2 to 3 cups)
1 cup dry quinoa (uncooked)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika (substitute regular paprika)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
1 can 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
2 cuos water
1 cup frozen corn (if you don’t eat corn, substitute black beans or diced zucchini)
1 red pepper diced
3 cups spinach leaves
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (or Colby jack or cheddar)
(Mix 1 cup into above ingredients and save 1 cup for topping last 5 minutes)
- Sliced avocados
- Lime wedges
- Sliced scallions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Add all ingredients to a 9x13 pan and mix, along with 1 cup of cheese.
3. Cover with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
4. Remove the foil and sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top and bake for another 5-10 minutes. After removing from the oven it may appear slightly soupy. Let it stand for 10 minutes and it will thicken up.
Serve with fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, and lime wedges. This yields about 8 servings and makes wonderful leftovers.
- You may choose to meal prep your protein in large batches at the beginning of the week to save time. May slow cook, sauté , or use instant pot to cook chicken. If you’re in a time crunch, grab a rotisserie chicken and shred for this recipe.
-This would also pair nicely with shredded turkey or pork in place of the chicken.
This one pan meal is high in protein, has lots of veggies, and the avocado garnish provides a healthy fat.